PLACES TO VISIT iN KERALA
Padmanabha Swamy Temple: The imposing seven storied
tower makes it the most impressive landmark in the city.
The temple is an excellent example of the dravidian style
of architecture. There are innumerable pillars,intricate
carvings, and mural paintings.
Lagoon (Tourist Village): Delightful waterfront
park.An ideal picnic spot where the lake merges
with sea. The wadingpool,gardens,exquisite sculptures,
a floating bridge and a wide range of aqua sports
Art Museum : Formally known as "Napier
Museum" name dafter a former Madras Governer
General, John Napier. It is a gem of architectural
traditional Kerala styles and good doses of Chinese and
Chithra Art Gallary: Has a rich collection of paintings
of Raja Ravi Varma and Roerich.It also has copies of paintings
of the Ajanta, Rajput,Mughal and Tanjore Schools besides
some works from China, Japa,Tibet and bali.
The Zoo: Is one of the best maintained zoos in the whole
of Asia and has a beautiful sprawling lawns.
The Observatory situated 60m above sea level is
located on a hill near the Museum.It is one of the oldest
in India. There is a well laid out garden in front of
the hill, with a beautiful rose collection.
Beach: It is popular city beach adjacent to the
airport. An indoor recreation club, children's
traffic training park and a star shaped restaurant are
some of the facilities at the beach
Beach: It is popular city beach adjacent
to the airport. An indoor recreation club, children's
traffic training park and a star shaped restaurant
are some of the facilities at the beach
and Technology Museum: Located near Mascot
Hotel, the Museum is of high educative value for
students of science and Technology.
Palace: The home of the late maharaja Sree Chithira
Thirunal Bala Rama varma and his family is off limits
to visitors but you can have a glimpse from the main gate.
If a friendly guard is on duty, he will let you walk a
bit inside the grounds where you can get a view of the
grand old building at the end of its long drive.
Boat Club : 9 km away from the town. It is
a popular retreat for the city dwellers. The lake
has boating facilities and has largest children's
Park in Kerala.
km north of Thiruvananthapuram and gifted with
lavish scenic beauty is Aruvikkara, with an ancient
temple dedicated to Durga on the banks of the
Dam:29km from Thiruvananthapuram is Neyyar Dam
a picnic spot and dam site. There are facilities for boating
at the reservoir. There is a lion safari park and crocodile
An ideal hill resort situated just 54km from Thiruvananthapuram
is an enchanting one for tourists. Best accommodation
and restaurant facilities are available here.
Wild Life Sanctuary: 50km from Thiruvananthapuram,
Peppara is accessible from Vithurai on Thiruvananthapuram-Ponmudi
Road. This sanctuary with its rich fauna and birds is
emerging as a big attraction to wild life enthusiasts.
It is spread over an area of 53 sq.km on the western ghats.
This is doted with large hills and numerous hillocks with
forests and eucalyptus plantations. Elephants, Sambar,
Leopard and Lion tailed macaque are commonly seen.
: This is a prominent peak in the Sahyadri ranges
and can be approached on foot from Bonacadu which is 61km
away from Thiruvananthapuram
: This is a prominent peak in the Sahyadri
ranges and can be approached on foot from Bonacadu
which is 61km away from Thiruvananthapuram
Palace : This palace was once the capital of the
State of Travancore and is 51km from the city on the way
to Nagarcoil in Tamil Nadu.The palace contains 17th and
18th century murals.
Malika : (Palace Museum):
Puthen Malika is also known as Kuthira Malika.This palace
was built during the time of H.H Maharaja Swathi Thirunal
the king of Travncore who was also a great poet and musician.
This palace has wood carvings in the traditional Travancore
style. The museum presently displays various painting
collections of the royal family.
: Lord Parasuraman's temple is here by the river
at Thiruvallam, Chithranjali, the State Film Development
Corporation's studio is at Thiruvallam. This is on the
Thiruvananthapuram-Kovalam route,10km from the city.
: Lying just 15kms from
the state capital ,that is a historic spot, which was
left unnoticed for a long time. The capital of Ay-Vel
kings of the 8th-9th century, the only thing that was
withstood time is a rock temple, as signed to the period
of the Cheras because of a strong influence to the Pallava
Pandya architecture. The rock temple is just a little
off the main junction ,and is a protected monument under
the Archeological Survey of India.
Palace:This is at Nedumangadu,18km from Thiruvananthapuram.This
ancient palace built during the 15th century is on the
way to the Ponmudi Hill Station and the Courtallam Water
falls. This is built on the traditional nalukettu style.
Waterfalls/Vaiyanthol : Just 60km from Thiruvananthapuram
and 7kms from the Bonecaud estate in the Peppara forest
range.This 4 ft cascade is one of the most verdant and
unspoiled spots in Kerala. Road accessibility is only
upto Bonecaud,thereon the Kanni tribesmen accompany trekkers
along the mountain path. Prior permission from the Forest
Department is required before approaching the area.
palace, Mattancherry : The Dutch palace or Mattancherry
palace was originally built by the Portuguese and presented
to the Raja of Cochin, Veera Kerala Varma in 1555. It
was later taken over by the Dutch who improved it through
extensions and repairs in 1663.
Since then it came to be called the Dutch Palace though
at no time did the Portuguese nor the Dutch stayed there.
Today it is a portrait gallery of the Cochin Rajas. The
double storied quadrangular building surrounds a central
courtyard containing a Hindu Temple. In the centre is
the coronation hall where the Cochin Rajas held their
ceremonious coronation. On display here are the dresses,
turbans, weapons and palanquins from that era. The highlight
of the palace is the 17th century mural paintings of mythological
figures and scenes from Ramayana in the tradition of Hindu
temple art. The floor of the palace reveals the unique
traditional Kerala technique of achieving a polished black
surface by combining egg white, coconut shell, charcoal
and lime and accomplishment worth admiring Timings: 10
am to 5 pm. Closed of Fridays and National Holidays.
Mattancherry : The Synagogue at Mattancherry
built in 1568, The Great Scrolls of the Old Testament,
the Copper Plates on which the grants of privilege made
by the Cochin rulers were recorded and the exquisite
Chinese hand-painted tiles are of interest, is the oldest
Synagogue in the Common Wealth Countries. It was partially
destroyed in the war of 1662, but was rebuilt by Dutch.
In the mid 18th century the clock tower was added. Its
floors are paved with exquisite had painted blue-willow
tiles imported from China. Of these no two tiles are
alike. The great scrolls of the old testament the copper
plates in which the grands of privilege made by the
Cochin Rules were recorded and the exquisite Chinese
and Painted Tiles are of great interest. The Synagogue
is open from 10 am to 12 noon and 3 pm to 5 pm on all
days except Saturdays and Jewish holidays. The boasts
of Rabbi gives visitors a full account of the synagogue
and the history of the Jews in Kerala. Although this
ancient community of Cochin has new dwindled to Hebrew
language remain in Jew Town.
St. Francis Church, Fort Cochin
: Reputed to the the oldest church in India built
by the Europeans (The Protestant church was built originally
by the Portuguese in AD 1510 and is believed to be the
first church built by Europeans in India). It is situated
in Fort Cochin 10 km. away from style and renamed St.
Francis of Assisi Church. Vasco Da Gama the Governor
of Portuguese territories in India was buried in here
before his mortal remains were taken to Portugal, fourteen
years after his death. But the original tablet still
remains here. Old records of the Church can been seen
here. The most important one is the "Doop Book"
of the Dutch Baptismal register maintained till 1804.
Some old cadjan leaf manuscripts preserved in the church
give information about the life of the Portuguese and
Dutch settlers here. Grave stones from the graves of
Vasco Da Gama and Portuguese and Dutch are embedded
on the walls of Church. Brass tablets in memory of many
Europeans especially the English are also embedded on
Santa Cruz Basilica Church :
This Roman Catholic church is situated near the St.
Francis church and is worth a visit. It is a specimen
of Portuguese architecture built in 1503. ‘Frescoes’
and mural paintings decorate the ceiling and interior
parts of the church. The gothic architecture and the
lofty spires gives it a unique grandeur
Island : Bolghatty palace built by the Dutch
in 1744. Later it became the seat of the British
Resident of Cochin. Today it is a hotel run by K.T.D.C.
The grounds have a small golf course & several
vantage points for lovely views of the harbour &
Island : Connected to the mainland by road-cum-railway
Venduruthy Bridge, Willington Island is named after the
former Viceroy of India, Lord Willington. It is a manmade
Island created from the materials dredged while deepening
Cochin Port. Willington Island sites some of the district’s
best hotels, Trading and industrial offices. Besides the
airport, ship building yard, wharf, the Southern Naval
Command Head Quarters, the customs house and the Cochin
Chamber of Commerce and Industries, the government of
India Tourist Information office is situated here. Many
offices, branches of national and international banks,
travel agencies, souvenir shops warehouses can also be
Gundu Island :
It is the smallest island around Cochin with an area of
only 5 acres. There is a coir factory here where coir
is made into rope manually and carpets are manufactured
by looms by hand.
Ernakulam : This temple is situated in the centre
of the town close to the Cochin Cultural Centre, very
near the Durbar Hall Ground. The presiding deity is Lord
Siva and the annual festival in the temple is conducted
for 8 days during the month of January.
Kalady is the birth place of Adi Sankaracharaya the great
Indian Philosopher who lived in the 8th century is 45
Kms from Cochin. It is situated on the banks of river
Periyar and there are two shrines in memory of Sree Sankaracharaya.
One dedicated to him as Dakshina Moorthi and the other
to the Goddess Sharada. Adi Sankara's Shrined in Kalady
are open to all pilgrims irrespective of Religion and
caste. The spot were Adi Shankara's Mother was cremated
is called Vrindavan. Nearby is an old Krishna Temple,
the family temple of Sankaracharaya. Another Temple known
as Sri Ramakrishna International Temple was built in 1976
with the hope that it would ultimately become a temple
for all religions and an abode of peace.
Nets : A legacy of the trading connections between
China and India many centuries ago. The long rows of Chinese
Nets silhouetted against the sunset present a spectacular
sight of Cochin's waterfront. These are large nets which
hang from bamboo or teak posts, still to be in use by
the local fisher folk of Fort Cochin.
Rides : The highlight of Cochin is a boat ride
through all the islands. The city face a broad expense
of backwaters studded with palm-flanged islets.
: This mangrove forest is a small bird sanctuary
,located in the heart of the town behind the High Court
of Kerala, attracts a large number of tourists.
light house : The biggest Island, situated between
the sea and the backwaters of Cochin. It is 24 km long
and 2 1/2 km wide. There is a light house at Ochanthuruthu
which is open to tourists from 3 pm to 5 pm. The Island
can be reached only by water transport provided by boat
services and Junkar. There are bus services on the Island.
Fort : Pallippuram fort was built by the Portuguese
in 1503. It is one of the oldest existing European monuments
in India. The Dutch captured the fort in 1661 and sold
it to the State of Travancore in 1789. This fort is situated
in the northern extremity of the Vyppin Island at Pallippuram.
The catholic church at Pallippuram is an important pilgrim
centre of the Christians.
Church : 53 km. from Cochin, 8km. From Kalady.
Situated on a small hillock, it attracts thousands of
devotees who undertake a trip to the shrine to participate
in the annual festival, Malayattoor Perunnal (March/April)
St. Thomas is believed to have prayed at this shrine.
Sanctuary : Though recently established Thattekad
is one of the most important bird sanctuaries in South
India. A boat cruise from Bhoothathankettu to Thattekad
is an unforgettable experience through the evergreen forests
nesting migratory and indigenous birds. The birds commonly
seen here are Malabar Grey horn bill, Great Indian horn
bill, Grey jungle fowl, Heron egret, Parakeet and numerous
other rare species. Thattekad is also accessible from
Kothamangalam (20 km).
Thampuran Museum : It is an archeological museum
adjacent to the Shiva temple in Durbar Hall Road,Ernakulam.
This museum features collections of the 19th century paintings
, Pre-historic monuments , Old coins in a numismatic gallery,
Scriptures in stone & Plaster of Paris, Copies of
mural paintings etc & the collection from the Cochin
royal family. In the earlier days the museum was the Durbar
Hall of Cochin Rajas where guests were welcomed, and where
official ceremonies and meetings were held. Now under
the State Archaeological Department, it has been named
after Rama Varma Pareekshit Thampuran, the Family’s
|The Hill Palace
Museum : The largest archeological museum of Kerala
, Hill Palace Museum is 13 Kms from Cochin. It displays
the erstwhile wealth and prosperity of the royal family
of Cochin, including the King’s throne and crown.
Paintings, carvings, etchings are displayed in the museum
which is located on the Ernakulam - Chottanikkara route.
Also on show are other trappings of royalty like majestic
beds ,weapons and samples of epigraphy.
of Kerala History, Edappally : Important scenes
of Kerala history are portrayed through through Sculptures.
Greeting the visitor outside is a statue of Parasurama
,the mythological safe who is said to have created Kerala.
The other places worth visiting are Alwaye, situated 20km
north of Ernakulam on the banks of river Periyar, Chottanikkara
Bhagavathy temple which is an important pilgrim place
for Hindus Kalady, Malayattoor which is located on the
slopes of the Western Ghats & is an important Christian
pilgrim centre, Bhoothathankettu, Thattekad Bird Sanctuary
21km. An ideal place for swimming in the river Periyar.
The annual Sivarathri Festival is held on the banks of
the river and is a colourful celebration. The centre of
attraction is the Shiva Lingam on the sand bank.
: See India Foundation is located at Kalathiparambil
Road, near the Ernakulam Junction Railway station. The
daily show begins at 6.45 p.m. The Cochin Cultural Centre
is situated on Manikath Road, behind Medical Trust Hospital.
The daily show begins at 7 pm Art Kerala, the third one
is situated at Kannanthodathu lane Valanjambalam. Kerala
Kathakali Centre functions at Fort Cochin near the Chinese
Fishing Nets. Ticket Charge at all the centres is Rs.
50 per person.
Centres : Kalaripayattu is one of the oldest living
tradition of martial training and physical culture in
the world. In the present context it means training in
the traditional style of combat. The aim of Kalaripayattu
is not only self defense and offence, but also the strength
of mind through physical exercises.